- Use fat from the roasted bird instead of butter.
- Reserve a third of the celery raw until final mix before the oven step (adds crunch).
- Instead of browning the sausage crumbled, form it into thin patties and brown it darkly on both sides, then chop into rough chunks with the spatula.
- Cook uncovered to achieve some crunch.
- Use the hottest sausage your audience would enjoy.
- Reheat in a waffle iron!
You need a big, big mixing container for a double batch.
After roasting a bird, separate the fat from the drippings (you will be making gravy, right?) and save any extra fat to use in place of the butter most recipes call for. Unless you saved some from a previously roasted bird, or are cooking your bird in advance, this may not be a practical trick for you.