Print RecipeHatch Chili Snack Sticks Yum
This recipe seeks a 70/30 mix of meat to fat. Some folks prefer a little leaner, 80/20. Adjust the meat ratio to your own satisfaction, making sure to add the total of meat and fat into the "Servings" field to be certain all the other ingredient amounts are correct.
Meat, Fat & Cheese
- 17.5 lbs ground venison
- 7.5 lbs fat — Fatback or really fatty bacon or pork belly
- 4 cups High-Temp Cheese — Cheddar is standard, but use whatever floats your boat. Use ONLY high-temp cheese.
- 58 grams salt — Kosher or canning/pickling. Not table salt.
- 4 Tbsp Ground Anise
- 8 Tbsp paprika
- 4 Tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp Ground Fennel
- 4 Tbsp Ground dried Green Chilis — mild or hot, your choice, just do it on purpose
- 4 Tbsp crushed red pepper
- 4 Tbsp garlic powder
- 4 Tbsp mustard powder
- 4 Tbsp onion powder
- 4 tsp Cayenne Pepper powder — of course you can increase if you prefer hot sticks.
- 4 tsp Instacure #1
Meat, Fat & Cheese
- Chill grinder parts in freezer.
- Mix wet & Dry ingredients.
- Mix in meat & fat
- Run mix through a grinder once, using a medium plate (~ 7mm or 1/4"). Some folks prefer to grind twice, once coarse (~ 10mm or 3/8") and once fine (~ 3mm or 1/8").
- Rest covered in the refrigerator overnight.
- Before stuffing the next day, chill stuffer parts in the freezer.
- Mix high-temp cheese in theull the snack stick mix out of the refrigerator and mix in 1 cup of high temp cheddar cheese.
- Add snack stick mix to sausage stuffer cavity that can hold at least 5 pounds of meat.
- Stuff into 19mm collagen casings through a 18mm nozzle or a little smaller. No need to soak the casings.
- Push a couple inches or so into the casing to release any air, then tie the end off.
- Fill the casings firm but not to the point you risk rupture.
- 1 hour at 110℉ with all vents open, no smoke no water pan. for 1 hour. If your smoker allows for it, don't use smoke during the first hour to help the casings set.
- Apply smoke, raise temp to 140℉ and cook 2 hours.
- Move to a 160°F dehydrator for 2 hours. Don't allow the sticks to get over 160.
- Ice water bath for 10 minutes.
- "Bloom" at room temperature for an hour.
- Cut to the desired length, Refrigerate until completely chilled, vacuum seal, and freeze what you won't be eating right away.
Share this Recipe